Tuesday 21 June 2011

Idol by Carrie Duffy

We have a new author on the circuit chick-lit fans and wow is she one to keep a look out for. After my Dilema last night as to what book to read next the first person to vote voted for Idol by Carrie Duffy. The first thing to mention about this book is the bright pink cover of the book which screams chicklit at us with the title Idol in what looks like lights. This cover is defiantly one that will stand out.

Plot
Jenna Jonsson is at the height of her career as a international pop star. A new opportunity has arisen for her to work with rock band Phoenix. With tensions running high between the band members and Jenna will their collaboration work out?
Sadie Laine is a young talented dancer trying to find her way to the top of her career after the chance of a life time was unfairly taken away from her by Jenna. When a chance of work comes up for Sadie to get noticed in Las Vegas, Sadie and Jenna find their lives collide.

My Opinion
The author of this book Carrie Duffy has worked professionally as an actor and a dancer and her experience of working in this kind of industry definitely shows in this book. This is Carrie Dufffy’s debut novel and wow has she started with a novel we won’t forget in a hurry. The book is a true page turner so much so I have finished it in under a day. This is a fast pace book from the word go. The first chapter pulls you straight into the story and the whole story stays on this fast pace right the way through. There is so much going on in this book but yet we never seem to lose sight of the main story.

The way the story is set out is each chapter switches to each of our main characters talking from each of their points of views and journey’s  so we really get to warm to each of the characters. I have to say my favourite out of the two girls was Jenna Jonsson who is the pop star. I found her character easy to warm to more so than Sadie but I think this was because Sadie is a very bitter and negative character at the start which you could understand because of the history between Jenna and Sadie. 

I did find that parts of the book were predictable but this really didn’t dampen the story in any way. There are many different stories going on in this book but in one way or another they start to come together at different parts of the book.

Other than Johnny Be Good by Paige Toon I have never really been a fan of books about singers as I they always seem to be similar sort of storylines and lack any kind of depth but I am pleased to say this book is nothing like that it is full of surprises the more and more you read.

Unusual for me I can not find any negative points to this book I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and also how good it was for a first novel. I would defiantly recommend this book. In my opinion Carrie Duffy will be a big name in chick lit I know I will be looking out for future novels by her.


5 comments:

  1. glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see that you enjoyed it! I will add it to my list of books to check out once I wade through my TBR pile, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like one to add to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Ladies looks like your to be read piles are getting even bigger!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to look out for this author.

    carol

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS