Wednesday 14 September 2011

Persuade Me by Juliet Archer



When I was approached by Choc Lit publishers to read Persuade Me by Juliet Archer I was a little apprehensive about taking this book on to review. I felt I was going to be a little out of my comfort zone with this particular book especially after it being described as a Jane Austen Modernisation, I must be one of the only book lovers who is not a fan of Jane Austen. I decided to still give the book a try to see is it was a piece
of me!


Plot
When do you let your heart rule your head?
As far as men are concerned, Anna Elliot is stuck in the past. No one can compare to Rick Wentworth, the man she was persuaded to give up eight years ago.
Meanwhile, Rick’s moved on – and up. He’s got a successful career and a carefully controlled love life where his heart doesn’t get a look in.
The words ‘forgive and forget’ aren’t in Rick’s vocabulary. The word ‘regret’ is definitely in Anna’s. When they meet again, can she persuade him that their lost love is worth a second chance?


Persuade Me is Juliet Archer’s second novel in her ‘Jane Austen in the 21st Century’ series.Her first novel, The Importance of Being Emma, was shortlisted for the 2009 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance.

My Opinion
Anna Elliot is such a warm and gentle down to earth character unlike some of her family! From the moment we meet Anna we connect to her instantly. It is clear from the start of the book that she has had her heart broken but her story takes a while to unfold as we get to know her character.

Rick who is Anna’s ex is quite a character. When we first meet him I had my guard up a little as I was unsure of his true intentions but as we see more of his character it is hard to get this man out of your head! He is the perfect male character for this book.

There were also many secondary characters in this storyline all who seemed a little quirky and I feel these characters are what manages to keep the Jane Austen connection.

I loved that alongside our Rick and Anna storyline there were also sub plots alongside which I feel worked quiet well and gave us the chance to get to know the back ground of each of the other characters. The use of the sub plots were clever in the way that although you were interested in the other characters reading them just kept you on your toes waiting for the story to return to Rick and Anna to see where their journey was going to go next.

I was surprised how much I was gripped by this book so much so I finished it in under a day! I think that speaks for itself when asking would I recommend this book.

5 comments:

  1. Rea, I wish I could have written it as fast as you read it! Thank you for a lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and choc lit for the opportunity to read it I thoroughly enjoyed it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this, even though I'm not a huge fan of Jane Austen either. (And I, an English major, no less!) This sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review. One of my favourites reads this year - it kind of lingers with you afterwards. I'm not one for the classics but really enjoyed this modern version.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS