Friday 4 November 2011

Chosen by Denise Grover Swank

This year I have taken part in the Chicklit plus tour. One of the great benefits of being part of the tour is the authors I have been introduced to. One author in particular has stuck out tto me since taking part on the tour and that was Denise Grover Swank. Earlier in the year I read and reviewed her book Twenty Eight and a Half Wishes, this would not have been the type of book I would have picked up but after reading it I am eagerly awaiting a sequel! So when I was approached for another book tour for Denise again I jumped at the chance. This time the book in question is Chosen which again is not the kind of book I would usually opt for but after reading Denise’s previous book I was eager to give it a try.

Plot
Everything Emma Thompson owns fits in a suitcase she moves from one roach infested motel to another. She and Jake, her five year old son who can see the future, are running from the men intent on taking him. Emma will do anything to protect him even when it means accepting the help of a stranger named Will. Jake insists she needs Will, but Emma’s never needed help before. And even though she’s learned to trust her son, it doesn’t mean she trusts Will.


Mercenary Will Davenport lives in the moment. Hauling Emma to South Dakota should have been an easy job, but his employer neglected to tell him about Emma’s freaky son and the gunmen hot on her trail. Instinct tells him this job is trouble, but nothing can prepare him for Jake’s proclamation that Will is The Chosen One, who must protect Emma from the men hunting her power. A power she doesn't know she has.


Will protects Emma and Jake on a cross-country chase from the men pursuing them, while struggling with memories from his past, his apprehension of Jake, and his growing attraction to Emma. Will’s overwhelming urge to protect Emma surprises him, especially since it has nothing to do with his pay check and possibly everything to do with the tattoo Jake branded on his arm. Rich and powerful men are desperate to capture Emma, and Will must discover why before it's too late.

My Opinion
Chosen is centred around three main characters, Emma, Jake and Will. Each of the characters are developed so well which made the characters feel more real. Although Emma has been running for years to protect her son Jake she doesn’t take on the damsel in distress roll she embraces the challenge head on doing anything in her power to help protect her son. I loved the character of Emma she was easy to connect to. I also love Will although it is quite clear from the start that he has an ulterior motive you cannot help but warm to his character as he seems like he is such a nice guy who has just fallen onto the wrong path.
Now time for the character of Jake! Jake can only be summed up in one word and that is creepy. It was hard to see his character as a 5 year old boy. Because of his phsycic abilities he seems to sound very wise and old before his time. I still found his character intriguing but that was my main difficulty with the book is seeing this boy as a child.

The reason I jumped at the chance to read Chosen is because of the element of suspense Denise managed to create in her previous book. She is back with a bang in Chosen I actually feel that the suspense factor is greater in this book at times I felt like I was gripping my kindle so tight anticipating what was going to happen next.
I was on the edge of my seat reading this action packed novel when it suddenly came to an end. I think because the storyline is so intense and flows at such a fast pace you did not see the ending coming and it has clearly been left open for a sequel.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone who likes paranormal, action packed read. I know I for one will be eagerly awaiting a follow up to this book.
If you have a kindle this is at an unbelievable price at the moment by clicking the link below.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the tours helped you find Denise :) Same here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it too... was on the edge the entire time and am now craving book two!!

    Lindsay
    www.turningthepages.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Chosen and rated it 5 of 5 in my review as well. I loved it and can't wait for book 2. I love finding a new to me author and blows me away.
    You wrote a wonderful review and I totally see what you meant about Jake. It was hard picturing this 5 yr old as a child.
    Great review, MichelleKCanada @AnotherLookBook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for an awesome review, Rea! I'm so glad you liked it. I love that readers are branching out into genres they don't normally read. And to read my books, no less! I'm very honored.

    Since you mentioned Jake and how hard it was to figure him out, I'll give you a piece of inside information no one else knows at this point. (Other than my beta readers--who are sworn to secrecy--and my copy editor)

    Jake has his own POV in Hunted. We get to see the little boy vulnerability that he keeps hidden from the world.

    Thanks again for your thoughtful and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks like we are all Denise fans!! I can't wait to read Hunted now Denise to see if my perception of Jake changes!xx

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS