Monday 28 November 2011

High-Heels & Slippers! by Ella Slayne


I have just finished High Heels and Slippers by author Ella Slayne. This is Ella’s first novel which I have to say I was a little nervous about reading as I have has 6 debut books sent to me over the last month and each one I have struggled through the first few chapters and have had to stop. I was hoping this wasn’t going to be the case with High Heels and Slippers.

Firstly I have to say I love the title of the book and I think it shows the two sides to our main character Josie. She is great at her job and she seems to take pride in her work and also her appearance whilst she is there but just like me when Josie goes home it is time to kick of those formal shoes and get comfy and think about going to the gym to lose those few extra pounds and to get fit!

Josie is finding it hard to get over the affair with Bob who is married and also her boss. It’s not too long before her head is turned in a different direction by the help of the gorgeous Callum. Just when things start to look promising with Callum, Josie receives a Facebook message which means her going back to the U.K. I was expecting Josie at this time to feel a little bit torn as to what she should do but she seemed very much in control of her thoughts and emotions and knew what she had to do for the best.

I felt that Josie’s character had a similar feel to Becky from The Shopaholic series who is one of my favourite characters and I think that is because of her gentle but somewhat ditzy character traits, especially with the letters which she writes at the beginning of each chapter and her friendship with her best friend.

I would have liked to have read a little more about the relationship between Josie and Callum and for there to have been a little more depth to the storyline but in my opinion for a debut novel this was an enjoyable and entertaining read and an author I would look out for in the future.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book Rea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good debut novel

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    P.s I'm your newest follower, your almost at 100 now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rea - thanks so much for the review! :-) I did a blogpost on Josie's reaction (tongue-in-cheek of course!) Ella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the follow SMBSLT. You are welcome Ella thank you for the opportunity xx

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS