I really enjoyed Monday to Friday Man by Alice Peterson and so when I heard she was releasing a new book I knew I just had to read it. We are lucky enough today to have Alice over on the blog for a little chat and to tell us a little about her new book.
1) Tell us a little bit about your new book.
Ten Years On is based around two characters, Joe and Rebecca, who meet at college and become good friends - but for a reason I can’t say (I don’t want to spoil it entirely!) they lose touch. Ten years later, they meet again, and all those questions about their past slowly unfold.
The themes of the story are grief and the courage it takes to move on. It’s about being true to yourself and following your dream. And finally, it’s a moving love story.
2) I found there was a lot of detailed information delicately put into the book regarding wine tasting! Did you have fun carrying out the research for this book?
Did I have fun? I had the best fun! I signed up for a six-week Berry Bros course and learned a lot about wine, and rarely did I use the spittoon! I had to be careful heading home in the tube, making sure I didn’t lose my balance on the escalators…
3) Are your characters in this novel based on people you know?
You can vaguely spot my dad in Harvey, Rebecca’s father. My dad loves old china and wears daring pink cardigans! I wish Joe was based on someone I know… To me, he is the most perfect man. We also used to have a Miniature Dachshund called Jasmine, the inspiration for Audrey. There always has to be a dog in my novels…!
4) What gave you the inspiration for this book?
A friend of mine very sadly divorced and had to move back to her childhood home, so that her mother could give her support with her two children while she worked. She was very funny about not wanting to bump into her parents’ friends in Sainsburys – she also said how hard it was to leave her old life and London behind. This was the beginning of my idea - it really grew from there.
5) Are you currently working on your next novel (we are impatient!) If so can you tell us what to expect?
I am working on a new novel - I am so passionate about this one. It’s going to make you laugh and cry, and it’s very provocative. It should get you thinking, in the same way that Ten Years On does…
6) What was the last book you read?
Can I say the last best book I read was Jojo Moyes, Me before You. I couldn’t put it down.
7) If you were stuck on a tropical Island what would be your 3 must have items?
Suncream – I burn easily…
Pen and paper
Could you call my dog, Mr Darcy, an item?
8) Are you a kindle convert or do you still prefer a good traditional paperback?
I don’t have a Kindle yet but I love the fact that readers download my books on to them… Having said that, I will always continue to buy books too – my home would look really strange without my bookshelves. Deep down, I’m an old-fashioned girl at heart.
Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us Alice. Come back tomorrow when my review of Ten Years On will be up.
Pre-order your copy below