Tuesday 9 October 2012

On The Island by Tracey Garvis Graves

I was sent On The Island by a fellow bookworm ( Thank you Amanda!) have to say it is not one that would catch my attention in the book store but my ignorance would have made me miss out on a great read so I am over the moon that this was sent to me.

When thirty-year-old English teacher Anna Emerson is offered a summer job tutoring T.J. Callahan at his family's holiday home in the Maldives, she accepts without hesitation: a tropical island beats the library any day. 

T.J. has no desire to leave town, not that anyone asked him. He's almost seventeen and if having had cancer wasn't bad enough, he now has to spend his first summer in remission with his family instead of his friends. 

Anna and T.J. are en route to join T.J.'s family in the Maldives when the pilot of their seaplane suffers a fatal heart attack and crash-lands in the Indian Ocean. Marooned on an uninhabited island, Anna and T.J. work together to obtain water, food, fire and shelter but, as the days turn to weeks then months and finally years, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man...

This book was amazing. It is not often that I come across a book that you just cannot find a safe place to stop but this is exactly what I found when I picked up On the Island needless to say I read into the night until I had finished all in one sitting. I was on edge the whole way through this book the suspense that is created is really what makes this book a real page turner I loved not knowing from one page to the next what was to lay ahead wondering will they both live?
Will they both get off the Island?
Will there be a romance blossoming?

Although the premise of the book may not be original I can easily say I have not read another book quite like this. The descriptive writing easily wraps you into the storyline and each of the characters are a joy to read and both bring their own little something to the storyline. I did wonder quite how long my attention would keep with the storyline as part of me couldn't help thinking how much can really happen with just two characters on a deserted Island but I didn't find any dull moments or any repetition.

The book does cover a very delicate subject with the main characters, as Anna is 30 years old and is a teacher and T.J who is her student and only in his teens begins to develop feelings towards Anna which could pose a problem if the feelings are reversed in the real world. Because the chapters alternate between each of the characters we really get to know the characters deeply by hearing their thoughts and feelings so you get to see both sides of the story.

This has to be one of my top 5 books of the year so far it has that impact on you afterwards where it just leaves you flat as no matter what book you pick up you are still thinking of the characters from this book. I cannot recommend this book highly enough it is a must for all of your to be read piles.
Paperback               Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS