Thursday 11 October 2012

One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern

I have always found Cecelia Ahern books get a very wide range of reviews personally I have loved them all so far because I think each of her books bring you something completely different you are never quite sure what to expect, so I was looking forward to One Hundred Names and yet again I could not have predicted anything that would happen in this book!

Journalist Kitty Logan’s career has been destroyed by scandal, and she now faces losing the woman who guided her and taught her everything she knew. At her mentor’s bedside, Kitty asks her – what is the one story she always wanted to write? The answer lies in a file buried in Constance’s office: a list of one hundred names.

There is no synopsis, no explanation, nothing else to explain what the story is or who these people are. The list is simply a mystery. But before Kitty can talk to her friend, it is too late. With everything to prove, Kitty is assigned the most important task of her life – to write the story her mentor never had the opportunity to. Kitty has to not only track down and meet the people on the list, but find out what connects them. And, in the process of hearing ordinary people’s stories, she uncovers Constance’s – and starts to understand her own… 

I don’t think I have read a book that I have so many thoughts about the book all of which chop and change throughout the book making this a book I am confused by!

When I first started reading this book the storyline started to interest me and sounded exactly like my kind of thing my problem was I found it rather difficult to warm to the main character Kitty. Kitty has made a terrible mistake that has practically ruined a man’s life and I know we all make mistakes and sometimes we learn to forgive and forget I couldn't see this happening with Kitty as to me she seemed very self-centred worrying about how she is going to live with what her actions have cause for herself rather than for this poor guy, having to come home to various messages and “gifts” been thrown or written on her door. So I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to read on because of her character but as the book progressed her character turned full circle and I actually really warmed to her and saw a more vulnerable side to her and I began to warm to her. It was at this point where everything felt as though it was coming together.

The book also covers the story of a select few names off of the list of One Hundred Names and it was great to meet a group of different and yet down to earth characters. The only reason I am knocking one star off for this book is that I constantly felt as though the storyline was building up to something but in fact it became a little slow and my attention did start to waver in the middle part of this book but luckily it did pick back up again towards the end.

I love the cover of this book it looks very delicate and a little festive which is ideal for this time of year and I think it is one of Cecelia's best covers.

This is well worth picking up although not one of my favourite books by this author it is still one I am glad I read as it does deliver many messages that everyone has a story to tell, and that we all make mistakes but we still have a life to lead just try and turn a negative into a positive.

Hardback                 Kindle

3 comments:

  1. I find her books very strange,a few I've gave up half way through. They are so very different from P.S I Love You. One thing that can be said is you never know what you'll get. Good review and I think I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Anne I loved her novel last year but hear a lot of negative things you never no what you are going to get !! xx

      Delete
  2. I am planning to pick this up soon.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS