Thursday 9 May 2013

The Holiday Home by Fern Britton

Two sisters. One House. The holiday of a lifetime… Set on a Cornish cliff, Atlantic House has been the jewel in the Carew family crown for centuries. Each year, the Carew sisters embark on the yearly summer holiday, but they are as different as vinegar and honey. Prudence, hard-nosed businesswoman married to the meek and mild Francis, is about to get a shock reminder that you should never take anything for granted.

Constance, loving wife to philandering husband Greg, has always been outwitted by her manipulative sibling. Suspecting that Pru wants to get her hands on Atlantic House, Connie won’t take things lying down.

When an old face reappears on the scene, years of simmering resentments reach boiling point. Little do the women know that a long-buried secret is about to bite them all on the bottom. Is this one holiday that will push them all over the edge, or can Constance and Pru leave the past where it belongs?


I have been hot and miss with Fern Britton's books I didn't really like her first one and in fact I didn't manage to finish it. I read her second book Hidden Treasures last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it so I was looking forward to trying her third release The Holiday Home to see if it was going to win me over again.

It’s holiday time and time for sisters Connie and Pru and their families to head to Atlantic House, their family home in Cornwall. The two sisters are like chalk and cheese and have always been at heads with one and other and this seems to be something they can’t grow out of! Can the ladies put the past aside and enjoy the family holiday or will it be a battle all over again?

This book is all about family relationships, rivalry, infidelity and History repeating itself. The rivalry between the two sisters was quite typical for young siblings and when it continued into their adult lives it was pure entertainment. Some things that the girls argue about I can remember having the same argument growing up with my sister so it was great to be able to relate to the characters and the situations.

The setting that Fern Britton creates was fantastic it was easy to visualise the surroundings and Atlantic House, it is quite clear from the authors writing that she has spent a lot of time in Cornwall and is obviously a place close to her heart.

There is a wonderful collection of characters in this book most of whom I warmed to, it was great to have the three generations Abi and Jem brought a young and exciting fresh feel, the parents brought a witty and yet troubled part to the book and of course Grandparents Dorothy and Henry brought a traditional and warm feel but even they had something to hide!

I absolutely loved the character Francis he had such an innocent and delicate nature and I looked forward to his appearance in each chapter. Even the characters who were the villains I still loved as their parts were written well.

There were some unexpected twists and turns in this book which made it a compelling read. My only slight criticism ( and I really am having to hunt for one!) was how the part towards the end involving Greg was only briefly touched upon when it was quite an extreme part, I cant say more than that otherwise I will ruin things for you!

Fern Britton has well and truly won me around. I have never been a fan of celebrity authors but Fern Has changed my opinion and she definitely deserves credit for this wonderfully written and entertaining read. I will be in line awaiting her next release.



Hardback                 Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS