Monday 28 October 2013

When You Walked Back into My Life by Hilary Boyd

For eight years Flora and Fin had an exciting, fun relationship, but when Flora wanted to settle down and have children, Fin decided he wanted to move on.

Flora healed her broken heart and resigned herself to being alone, convincing herself that a quiet life is enough. Until Fin reappears. Back in her life once more, they pick up where they left off – his betrayal forgotten, or at least forgiven.

But has Fin really changed? Can he give Flora the love that she’s given up searching for?

I have previously read one of Hilary Boyd’s books which was Thursdays in the Park which I really enjoyed so I was looking forward to reading more of the authors work and When you Walked Back into My Life had a very intriguing synopsis and a beautiful cover so I couldn’t wait to get started.

Flora and Flin had been together for 8 wonderful years when out of nowhere Flin walked out of Flora’s life, not even leaving a note or any idea as to where he has gone and why. Flora’s world is shattered and she completely brakes down.

As her family help her to pick up the pieces over the following years she begins to get her life back on track, but then Flin makes an unexpected return. Is his return going to be greeted with open arms or is he opening up old wounds?

I loved the idea behind the storyline about a previous couple coming back together again to try  and give it another go, leaving the reader in suspense as to whether it will work out or not. The Prologue had me so intrigued and on edge which I thought was a fantastic start to the book but I didn’t find that this feeling lasted past the prologue unfortunately but yet the book was still enjoyable.

I had very mixed emotions about the characters in this book especially when it came to our main character Flora. I had conflicting feelings towards her, in one breath I loved her and found her a very caring, soft natured character but in the next breath I wanted to throttle her! I understand that love can make us blind but I just couldn’t believe what she was putting up with especially with numerous warning signs and so I was often very frustrated with her character rather than sympathetic. I didn’t like Fin one bit, he was spineless and selfish but he played his part well. I loved both Bel and dear Dorothea.

The issue surrounding Dorothea was extremely well written and I actually preferred this to the main storyline. It is really thought provoking and definitely pulls at the heart strings.


This was an easy read that was enjoyable, although the ending did feel a little rushed it would have been nice to see a little more development of the relationship. 


Kindle                     Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS