Thursday 6 February 2014

The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman.

I have long been awaiting the release of Rowan Coleman's new book as I am a huge fan of this author and the synopsis won me over.

Today the lovely Rowan Coleman has popped over to the blog and left us a video introducing her new book to us.



Thank you for the video message Rowan I am certain your book is going to be a massive hit.

My Review

Rowan Coleman is one of my favourite authors. I have loved each and every one of her books. None of her books are similar in any way which is why I look forward to her books so much as you never know what she has in store for us next.

The Memory Book tells the heartbreaking story of Claire who is a mother of two beautiful girls and a wife to a loving husband Greg. Sounds like a perfect little family from the outside but Claire is suffering from early onset Alzheimers.

Things are rapidly disappearing from Claire's mind, how long will it be before she doesn't even recognise her own children as she has already lost the memory of her love for her husband Greg.
Greg gives Claire a Memory book so that she can fill the pages with wonderful loving memories.

Although I have loved all of Rowan Coleman's books, The Memory Book is by far my favourite. This was an incredible read that saw the authors writing style at its best. This was such a delicate subject which made this book a very emotional read. I was captivated from beginning to end and I didn't want this book to come to an end.

Claire was such a loveable, courageous character and what she is going through is heartbreaking, not only the effect it is having on her in the present time but also her worry for her children when she is gone moves you to tears and makes you want to hold all of your love ones close and cherish them. The characters and the storyline both felt so life like which made this a very moving read because this is actually happening to people in the world.

The book is mainly told from both Claire and daughter Caitlin's perspectives which gave us a view from both sides, the thoughts and actions of someone with Alzheimers and also what is is like to live with a love one with the disease. It is remarkable how the author manages to get accross the mindset of someone who has Alzheimers, how quickly the fog can just cloud your mind and also how others treat you sometimes is rather childlike even if it is for their own safety.

Although this is a tender read there was also some uplifting, comical times especially when Claire had her three year old accomplice around!
This was a breath-taking tender read that will stay on my mind for a long time to come. As much as I will recommend this book I will not be sharing my copy as this one is for keeps.



The First GEM rating of the year!!


Kindle                 Hardback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS