Tuesday 23 September 2014

Another Alice by Alice Peterson

We all have our favourite authors and we read all of their books and now with social media we get to interact with them too so some of us feel like we actually know these talented people. Alice Peterson is one of my top 5 authors and I have devoured each of her books and they each have been a joy to read. During some twitter conversations I knew that Alice had originally had dreams set on becoming a successful Tennis player but due to an illness this wasn't possible and now reading her book Another Alice I got to know the whole story.

Alice suffers with chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis which was what lead her to her dreams becoming shattered. She was such a talented player and her future was looking like it was beginning to look bright but then just as she was about to leave for America she was struck by pain that seemed to travel around her body and after tests were done her diagnosis was confirmed.

This is such a heartbreaking read, more so because this is our much loved author not a fictional character who we read about on a daily basis. Alice manages to make her emotions flow through the pages those of pain, devastation, and feeling at such a low point that the only option at time is one of giving up. It was so hard to read the thoughts of such a young lady and a lot of it I could relate to so I did find moments of reading this book that I was blubbering away.

Through her book Alice manages to give the reader an insight to the illness and how it is trying to live with it so this book definitely helps to raise awareness of this debilitating autoimmune disease.  For selfish reasons we all love that this inspirational woman keeps providing us with pure talent and enjoyment but the reasons as to why she is now in this career and not a world name on those courts is just so unfair. 

I read this book in 2 hours and I couldn't put it down I loved this author before reading this book and I love her more so now, not out of pity for what she went through and what she still faces in day to day life, but because she is such a strong inspirational woman who I admire greatly. It was a pleasure to find out more about this authors journey and as ever she writes beautifully.



Kindle                    Paperback

1 comment:

  1. I love reading reviews where the author pays some respect to their favourite authors! I haven't read any of Alice's books but I will be sure to check them out now! And this sounds like such a sad novel as well :( You really did read it fast D:

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/perspective-dead-poets-society-35.html

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS