Thursday 26 February 2015

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Summer has arrived in the Cornish town of Mount Polbearne and Polly Waterford couldn't be happier. Because Polly is in love: she's in love with the beautiful seaside town she calls home, she's in love with running the bakery on Beach Street, and she's in love with her boyfriend, Huckle.


And yet there's something unsettling about the gentle summer breeze that's floating through town. Selina, recently widowed, hopes that moving to Mount Polbearne will ease her grief, but Polly has a secret that could destroy her friend's fragile recovery. Responsibilities that Huckle thought he'd left behind are back and Polly finds it hard to cope with his increasingly long periods of absence.


Last Year Jenny Colgan delivered the beautiful Little Beach Street Bakery where we got to see Polly Waterford rebuild her life down at Mount Polbearne, I loved the book so much I was so disappointed that it had to end but knowing that there would be another book in the series made it a little more bearable even if it does feel like I have waited so long for the second book but having just finished reading Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery I can tell you it has been well worth the wait.

Polly is loving life on Mount Polbearne she is enjoying working in the Little Beach Street Bakery doing what she does best and to top it off she is in love with Huckle and has pesky little Neil around too. But although the sun is shining a storm lays ahead that looks set to wreak havoc with all Polly knows and loves.

This is yet another book that Jenny Colgan has delivered that is absolutely flawless. I read this book in one sitting but was battling with myself because I was so compelled by this storyline that I just needed to see what happened next but as I was coming to the last few chapters of the book I then had that panic of oh no its coming to an end again but I couldn’t slow down this was like the Pringle slogan once you pop you just can’t stop! The storyline was heartwarming and dreamy and in true form this had managed to capture my attention and made me feel wrapped up in this little community, I have such a longing to go and visit Mount Polbearne as the writing style really makes this feel like such an idyllic setting.

It is an uplifting bright read and I really felt in that bright happy Summery mood reading it (until I looked out the window). The lovely Neil takes another starring role, I don’t think I have ever had such a love for an animal character in a book but I am like an excited child when he makes an appearance in the book!

There are also Jenny Colgans deliciously good recipes back again and I am determined to attempt to make one this time around. This could be read as a standalone book because the author has such a wonderful introduction to the book where it feels like she is sitting down with us with a cup of tea having a little chat to us about the main points in the previous book and I love this little touch but I do urge you to read the previous book first because it is such a delightful read you wouldn’t want to miss out.

I am pretty sure going on the ending of this book that there is a great possibility for a third installment so I am looking forward to visiting Mount Polbearne again and catching up with this humble cast of characters again. I cannot recommend this book enough if you loved Little Beach Street Bakery then you will not be disappointed with this book.


Kindle                     Paperback

1 comment:

  1. I'm about half way through and absolutely love it, I can't put it down! It's such a lovely, summery read it can't not make you smile.

    Really enjoyed your review - couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS