Monday 27 April 2015

A Good Catch by Fern Britton

Even happy families have their secrets… 

Greer Clovelly seems to have it all, beautiful, chic and slender, she’s used to getting her own way. Greer has been in love with Jesse Behenna since her first day at school and she’s determined that one day, they’ll be married. After all, a marriage between them would join together two dynasties of Cornish fishing families to make one prosperous one.

For her friend, Loveday Carter – plump, freckled and unpretentious – living in the shadow of her friend has become a way of life. She loves Jesse too, but knows that what Greer wants, she usually gets.

Jesse, caught in the middle, faces an agonising choice. Should he follow his heart or bow to his father’s wishes? And what about his best friend Mickey, who worships the ground that Loveday walks on?

 Jesse’s decision will touch them all in ways that they could never foresee, and as the dark clouds start to gather the four friends find themselves weathering a storm – one that has the power to sink them all…

I have read and enjoyed Fern Britton's previous books and have found them light hearted easy reads so I was looking forward to reading her latest read so I was looking forward to reading her latest release A Good Catch whcih I have just finished and I have to say this is easily my favourite book by Fern.

A Good Catch has a completely different feel to her previous books, I found the characters had much more debth to them and the storyline was well thought out and really grabbed my attention.

There are four main characters Greer, Loveday, Mickey and Jesse. They have all been friends since school which is where this book begins we then follow the storyline through their lives growing up together with a complicated love triangle and a hidden secret that could jepodise the long standing friendship.

My opinion of Greer changed continuously through the book, one minute I warmed to her and really felt for her and the next minute I couldn't bare her she was shallow and stuck up. Loveday was such a loveable character whose warmth and vibrant personality shone through the pages, and even though she made a terrible mistake I still loved her, she was my favourite character.

I loved the setting of the book which really came to life thanks to Fern's carefully detailed descriptions, her attention to detail made everything easy to envisage from the gorgeous setting by the sea to the way the characters look and also the details she gave surrounding the fishing business and interior design which are great parts of the characters lives.

There are no hidden twists or turns but that wasn't needed as the storyline was captivating as it was. The book flows at an effortless pace and at no point did my attention waver I was surprised how quick I made my way through this book but to me that is a sign of a great read.

A Good Catch is Fern Britton's best novel it gets a big thumbs up from me.


Kindle                      Hardback

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, goodie another one for my library list. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS