Friday 15 January 2016

The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton


On 24 November Yasmin and her ten-year-old daughter Ruby set off on a journey across Northern Alaska. They're searching for Ruby's father, missing in the arctic wilderness.

More isolated with each frozen mile they cover, they travel deeper into an endless night. And Ruby, deaf since birth, must brave the darkness where sight cannot guide her. She won't abandon her father. 

But winter has tightened its grip, and there is somebody out there who wants to stop them. Somebody tracking them through the dark.




The Quality of Silence is the first book I have read by Rosamund Lupton and having heard so many great things about this book I decided to give this one a try even though it wouldn’t be the typical kind of book I would usually pick up. What I never expected was to be taken on a journey that would literally chill me to the bone as we watch our main characters Yasmin and her daughter Ruby on a treacherous journey through Alaska on a mission to find their husband/dad who is presumed dead but they refuse to believe this news and pure determination helps them on the journey which could see more than one life in danger.

This was such a beautifully crafted, atmospheric novel that had me captivated the whole way through. This was a creative and original storyline that was unpredictable, even though there were points which were a little farfetched these were easy to brush aside thanks to the strength in the storyline, descriptions and characters.

Ruby was what made this book such a pleasant and insightful read for me. Ruby is Yasmin and Matt’s daughter, she is death and this is what kept me immersed in the storyline because the way in which the author writes about Ruby’s hearing problem was so detailed and handled beautifully and gave real insight into living life without your hearing and also how others around deal with living with someone who is death. I have always felt strongly that we should all be taught sign language from an early age and reading this book has awakened my longing to learn to sign myself. What really hit a nerve with me was the way Ruby only felt like she could be herself online it is hard to show your character to people who you can’t communicate with. It was quite clear from early on in this book that Ruby had a stronger bond with her father and he seemed to understand her feelings about wanting to sign. Her relationship with her mum seemed to improve during their trip, spending time with Ruby and actually taking the time to try and understand from her daughters point of view seemed to bring them closer together.

I am thrilled that I gave this book a try as I loved this authors skilled writing style so I am going to go and pick up Sister next.



Paperback                Kindle

1 comment:

  1. Rosamund Lupton shot to fame with her first novel,Sister, which I really enjoyed, and now you've made me want to read this one. Sometimes reading outside our comfort zone can be really rewarding. Great title, too.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS