Sunday 8 May 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue

Room is not the kind of book I typically read. I try to read more light and cheerful reads as I feel there is enough heavy stuff going on in the real world so it is my little escape from the world when my head is in a book! It was after reading a review on dooyoo that I decided to give the book a try as it was highly recommended.

Room is written from five year old Jacks perspective which makes for a different read. Jack was born in Room and has never seen the outside world or felt the fresh air on his face. He describes to us his days in Room and tells us about Sunday treat which is when Old Nick brings them a treat they have asked for. Most of the outside world he thinks isn't real and is just on television until one day Ma, who has been living in Room since she was kidnapped by Old Nick, decides it is time to tell Jack about the outside world as she feels it is time to try to escape.
We read of Ma and Jacks plans to escape but if they succeed how would Jack cope in a world he never knew?

I really enjoyed this book. Having the story told by the five year old boys perspective gave the book a different but gripping edge. I do not have children so I did find it took me a while to get to grips with the way Jack talks, I assume it is very true to a five year olds speech. Every time Jack got in the wardrobe at night to sleep so Old Nick wouldn't look at him, when Jack tells us he hears the beep beep of the door I felt my body stiffen in anticipation of what he was going to do as we know and care for Jack by this point as we feel as though this little boy is talking to us and so you do not want anything to happen to him.
Although the book is by Jack we do also get to know Jacks Ma very well as this is the only person Jack has any contact with living in Room. We learn about how she come to be in Room and also about things which have happened whilst she has been in there.


I would highly recommend this book as the story is gripping the whole way through. Although it is not the kind of book I would normally read I am so glad I did and it was a shame when the book came to an end, I could have sat all day listening to how Jack feels about the world as some points he makes about our world is so true.
Do not hesitate go and buy this book!

3 comments:

  1. i just bought it. glad i made a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I was going to enjoy this one but it has stuck in my mind Happy reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read her latest Frog Music. It's excellent, totally different from Room thought. Check out my review here. SD
    http://wp.me/p2ZHJe-TH

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS