Wednesday 31 August 2011

The L.A Commandments by Gillian Duffy


Plot
Joanne Kavanagh and best friend Suzie pack their bags and swap dreary, depressing Dublin for the cool Californian coast. Both are determined to start a new life in the land of opportunity, leaving behind the recession and their complicated families.
They make a pact at the airport to stick religiously to the ‘LA Commandments’, a list of ten ‘Thou Shalt Nots’ for their new life in LA, including ‘Thou Shall Not Fall in Love,’ but when Jo befriends sexy, shy musician Marc, and Suzie falls for womanizing bar-man Chris, not only are the commandments at risk of being broken, but also the girls’ hearts…
With all California has to offer —sunshine, shopping, killer nightlife, and drop-dead-gorgeous men, will the girls stay faithful to the LA Commandments?

My Opinion
I have just finished reading Gillian Duffy’s first novel The LA Commandments and there is only one word I can use to describe this book and that is perfect!

Duffy really brings each of the characters personalities out in this novel which makes the characters feel real and familiar. I cannot imagine any reader not liking our main character Jo, she is full of life and is such a lovely down to earth character. Jo and Suzie are best friends and we can see how much they care for each other which was lovely to read as usually best friends in books are having arguments every other chapter!

The way Duffy describes Jo’s feelings and the surroundings in California it is clear that she has done her research well I wouldn’t be surprised if Gillian Duffy has spent some time in California as the descriptive writing that she uses feels all too real. Duffy also manages to bring some of her Irish charm into the book through her characters.

This book really does have everything you could ask for in a must read descriptive writing, enjoyable storyline, a great mix of loveable characters but one thing I wasn’t expecting was for Gillian Duffy to bring a tear to my eye! There was a part of the book which I didn’t see coming that brought a tear to my eye I wish I could tell you more about this but I do not want to give anything away as I think this part made the book just that extra bit special.

This is definatly one of those reads that you never want to come to an end but the way that Duffy does end this book is stunning.

After reading The L.A Commandments all I can say is you need to pick up a copy and I for one will defiantly be keeping a look out for the next Gillian Duffy novel.






1 comment:

  1. I would probably trade California for Dublin, but that's just the hopeless romantic in me. I love the synopsis for this book; it sounds like a great, fun, and poignant read!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS