Thursday 25 September 2014

One Step Closer to You by Alice Peterson


After Polly ends her relationship with the father of her young son, Louis, she is determined to move on. All she wants is to focus on her job, her friends and to be a good mum. No more looking over her shoulder. No more complications . . . Then Polly meets Ben. Ben is guardian of his niece, Emily. They become close, with Polly teaching Ben how to plait Emily's hair, and Ben playing football with Louis. Their friendship is unexpected. Polly’s never been happier. But when Louis's dad reappears in their life, all Polly’s mistakes come back to haunt her and her resolve weakens when he swears he has changed. Will she give herself a second chance to love?


I am a massive Alice Peterson fan, to me her books can not be compared to another author that I have read. Although I was really looking forward to reading her new release One Step Closer To You I have to admit that I was a little hesitant only because her last book By My Side was just exceptional and really touched me and is a book that I still find myself recommending on a weekly basis so I was worried that I would be disappointed with this book because I just couldn't see it being anywhere near as good as my favourite book by Alice.

Polly wants to make a new start with her life for her and for her son Louis, she has left Louis's dad and is straightening herself out and things are falling into place. Ben soon comes into Polly's life and he needs help and Polly is there for him and a firm friendship forms between the couple. As happy as she is Polly constantly has the worry that her ex may suddenly appear which could make her new happy world crumble.

Alice Peterson has done it again with another flawless novel that I couldn't put down. The author has a style of writing that is effortless and from the first chapter you can't help but become immersed in this engaging storyline. 

The characters in this book were all so genuine and our main character Polly was such an inspiring woman who doesn't let her weakness control her she finds strength to pull herself together and has pure determination in getting her life where she wants it to be. She is a loving and caring character and I absolutely loved her. My favourite character by far though is Hugo he is such a protective and caring character who has such a wicked sense of humor he had me chuckling away. The author managed again to write about a character with a disability and yet not make the character one that you pity she has a way of showing the difficulties they face in day to day life but yet also show that just because they have a disability they are know different to us.

I loved that this book was unpredictable there was one twist in particular that I was blinded by and yet looking back the clues were there but written in such a clever way that I wasn't suspicious.

This book is a very inspiring read that is heart wrenching at times and yet uplifting and sometimes humorous too. This is a beautiful read and I absolutely loved it so I had no need to worry, By My Side is still my favourite but in all honesty I think that book just had a massive impact on me. This is still an fabulous read that I can't praise enough, Alice Peterson strikes again.


Kindle                     Paperback

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Rea, for such a lovely review and for having me on your blog for a WHOLE WEEK! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Characters are always such an important part of a novel and that's what makes this book appeal to me so much! I would love to try this one out, although I may try the one I just read a review for first.

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/perspective-dead-poets-society-35.html

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS