Sunday 19 November 2023

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros

 



Welcome to the brutal and elite world of Basgiath War College, where everyone has an agenda, and every night could be your last . . .

Twenty-year-old Violet Sorrengail was supposed to enter the Scribe Quadrant, living a quiet life among books and history. Now, the commanding general - also known as her tough-as-talons mother - has ordered Violet to join the hundreds of candidates striving to become the elite of Navarre: 
dragon riders.

But when you're smaller than everyone else and your body is brittle, death is only a heartbeat away . . . because dragons don't bond to 'fragile' humans. They incinerate them.

With fewer dragons willing to bond than cadets, most would kill Violet to better their own chances of success. The rest would kill her just for being her mother's daughter - like Xaden Riorson, the most powerful and ruthless wingleader in the Riders Quadrant.

She'll need every edge her wits can give her just to see the next sunrise.

Yet, with every day that passes, the war outside grows more deadly, the kingdom's protective wards are failing, and the death toll continues to rise. Even worse, Violet begins to suspect leadership is hiding a terrible secret.

Alliances will be forged. Lives will be lost. Traitors will become allies . . . or even lovers. But sleep with one eye open because once you enter, there are only two ways out:
 graduate or die.


I think it is only fair to start this review off by saying that I am not really a big Fantasy Fan so I took a big chance on this one but I have to admit after seeing so many clips of people saying this is their book of the year I was intrigued.

This was one of those books that after hearing all the hype I started reading with extremely high expectations and as I started making my way through chapter after chapter feeling a little overwhelmed with the number of characters, I was already meeting I was feeling a little like I am not sure what all the hype is about here

BUT THEN

Chapter 14 arrived and by the end of that chapter I finally felt like the book had started for me and I suddenly cosied down to lose myself in the storyline.

As I mentioned before I am not a big fantasy reader but I have enjoyed a few over the years and I could feel so many of the emotions, the thrill and excitement that I remember when I read those books returning as I read this because it was almost as if they were all rolled in to this book, the dark twisted danger of Hunger Games, the magic school of Harry Potter the intense overbearing romantic connection from Twilight and the excitement and intrigue of Eragon. What more could I need in a fantasy book than all of the things I loved from these books all rolled into one it was amazing!

Violet is a character who you warm to instantly, your heart goes out to her right from the beginning when you see her vulnerability through her sisters eyes and then when we learn how much Violet wanted to be a scribe but is railroaded into becoming a Rider by her powerful yet heartless mother. But as the storyline moves along we see her character begin to grow and her determination and courage build we are routing for this little dark horse all the way hoping she can prove to herself and those who doubt her that she is stronger than she looks and is not to be underestimated.

I don’t want to give anything away when it comes to the ending but what this author done so well was to take a chink out of my heart when something happens to one of our characters and whilst I am feeling low but starting to feel like things are starting to wrap up she then blindsides me with a completely unexpected revelation that I didn’t see coming at all and left me sitting gaping like a fish as I closed the book! SO often with adrenalin filled books like this towards the end the book starts to slow and feel a little anticlimactic well that is not how Rebecca Yarros roles! She is keeping you on your toes right until the very last page.

SO the big question, does this book deserve the almighty hype it is currently receiving?

Yes!

All I say is give the book a chance to get going and don’t worry if you forget who is who because some we lose along the way and then the characters we really need to know and remember will be etched in your mind by the mid-point of this book. 

Roll on book 2!


Kindle                        Hardback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS