Friday 9 February 2024

Things we Never Got Over by Lucy Score

 



Escaping her seemingly perfect wedding, Naomi Witt arrives in rough-around-the-edges Knockemout, Virginia, running to the rescue of her estranged twin, Tina.

Too bad for Naomi her evil twin hasn't changed at all. After helping herself to Naomi's car and cash, Tina leaves her with something unexpected: the 11-year-old niece she didn't know she had. Now she's stuck in town with no job, no plan, no home and a whole lot of extra responsibility.

There's a reason local barber Knox doesn't do complications or high-maintenance women, especially not the romantic ones. But since Naomi's life imploded right in front of him, the least he can do is help her out of her jam. And just as soon as she stops getting into trouble, he can leave her alone and get back to his peaceful, solitary life.

At least that's the plan, until their lives begin to entwine in ways they never imagined . . 


Things we Never Got Over by Lucy Score has been staring at me in every bookshop I go in and then I received a copy for Christmas so I think the universe was telling me I needed to read this book!

This is book holds so many wonderful characters who each play a perfect part in this book and they were all really well developed so I never confused one character for another which can often happen with books like this with so may characters.

The opening of the book kicked off to a quick start pulling me into a surprising and intriguing start so I knew this was going to be a book too keep me entertained and it sure did. Set in a small town called Knockemount there is an incredibly tight knit community so everyone knows your business before you do sometimes but the support they all show our newcomer Naomi is great especially her girls in Honky Tonk.

Waylay who is Naomi’s niece was one of my favourite characters, I loved to see her blossom as she began to settle down which isn’t something she has had in life so far, structure, nurturing and support. She provided a few laughs along the way too.

On the surface this book follows the path of Naomi in her new start in life, an unexpected one with Waylay and there is also the burning romance with Knox who is the core of the town but underneath there is a deeper issue as we begin to peel back the layers of Knox and uncover his demons that have held him back in life.

Knox is a complex character, on the one hand he is every woman’s dream, protective, confident, loving and caring oh and incredibly good in bed! On the other hand he has the biggest barrier up that as soon as it begins to drop and he then ruins everything and makes that barrier even higher. I found his character so unpredictable and he even had me feeling the way Naomi probably felt in that he was letting me in and then dropping me out. There was only one thing, yes just one, that I loathed about this book and that was Knox and his love of using the word Baby all the time! That word makes me physically cringe in a book when referring to a woman but hey this is probably just my own gripe.

This book is spicy with a CAPITAL S so if you are not one that feels comfortable with detailed sex scenes then be prepared to have to skim read over a few pages here and there in this book but don’t let it put you off reading because it isn’t all the storyline is about.

This was a really entertaining read and I am off into town today to go and get the next book in the series.


Available to buy here!

#CommissionsEarned

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS