Tuesday 16 August 2011

Gypsy Wedding by Kate Lace


One if the books which were sent to me recently was Gypsy Wedding by Kate Lace. I have always been fascinated by the Gypsy way of life which was spurred on more so by the recent Television series, so when this book arrived I couldn’t wait to read it even after reading many negative reviews. The cover of this book looks like a typical chick lit cover that catches your eye with its mix of bright pink colours and a wedding dress similar to one shown on the recent Television series.


Plot
Vicky has been engaged to the gorgeous Liam for nearly two years. Now that she’s seventeen- high time for a traveller girl to settle down- everyone is planning for the big day. Everyone, that is, except Vicky. She’s got other things on her mind; like persuading her father and Liam to let her go to college to learn dressmaking.
Her father’s not impressed, but Liam just wants to make her happy, so she’s given one year, just enough time for her to make her own bridesmaids’ dresses.

But a lot can happen in a year, and as the final fitting for her spectacular dress approaches, Vicky no longer knows what she wants. If only she had listened to her father and stayed at home. Maybe then she wouldn’t have fallen in love with someone else....

My Opinion
Kate Lace strongly brings the true Gypsy culture into this book so if you have no interest in their way of living then this book isn’t going to be the one for you. I was surprised what a quick read this was I finished it in 3 hours and the book flowed along at a great pace.

Our main character is Vicky who is very mature for her age but this seems to be the way for traveller girls as they are brought from an early age to follow the ways of their mum helping with the house hold chores and living a somewhat sheltered life. Vicky it is clear from the start is different from the typical traveller as she has a dream and ambition which is something that traveller girls do not have or if they do they do not act upon it incase of brining shame on their family.

I found Vicky’s character easy to read although we cannot relate to her as few of us have lived alongside this culture to know how she is truly feeling although her feelings are brought through in this book quite clearly.
I was shocked by the ending of the book I felt as though her feelings had taken an unexpected change which made the ending of the book unpredictable. Without spoiling the ending for you all I will say is I was a little disappointed by the ending of this book I was hoping for a happy medium.

I would defiantly recommend this book to you but as I mentioned before the travellers culture is strong in this book so if this is something you do not like or have not interest in I would say this is not the book for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS