Tuesday 11 September 2012

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan


I have been experimenting with different genres recently and have come across some surprising good reads and some reads that really are not my cup of tea, we all seem to have our comfortable genre and I think it keeps reading fresh to experience different genres. I went back to my youth and decided to try a YA book as when I was growing up reading was not a hobby of mine so I feel as though I missed out a little so I have just finished Dash& Lily’s Book Of Dares.

Plot
I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favourite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions? 

This is the first book I have read written by two authors, I have always avoided these kind of books as I always had a feeling that the storyline wasn’t going to flow very well but I was proven wrong in this book. The book has so many positive things to mention and I don’t seem to be able to find a negative to go along side which surely has to be a good thing!

I love books which are set around Christmas time so already I was hooked! The book opens in the Strand, New York, which is an idyllic setting and introduces us to a great storyline beginning with a book trail between our two main characters Dash and Lily and what a great idea this was. After reading this book you can't help looking for a red notebook as you peruse the bookshelves longing for your own romantic trail!

We get to know both Dash and Lily in great detail as the book alternates between the two characters points of views, we see the two characters growing up through the book and starting to find themselves and Lily in particular trying out things teenagers go through only to realise you don’t need to follow sheep you need to be your own person.

Dash felt like the cool kid out of the two and he had a very dashing way about him, he was very intelligent but very slick with it which made for a great character. I definitely feel that by having both a male and a female author gave the characters and edge as both characters were fully developed and too an equal role in the book compared to many books where the one sex character takes the lead as the author can relate to the character more.

There were funny moments in this book when they were placing the notebook in various places that they knew each other may not be comfortable with. I would definitely recommend this book to any YA fans or for anyone who fancies putting their hand to a new genre. This gets a thumbs up from me an enjoyable read one I couldn’t put down.

Paperback                  Kindle

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book when I read it! Not only was it crazy fun and totally awesome (Oh Dash...swoon), but as I was reading it, I totally heard all of Dash's parts in the voice of a friend of mine -- it struck me as totally something he would be game to try, the whole trading notebook directions thing. So fun. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over and leaving a comment you can tell you loved it as much as me!It is such a great storyline keep looking for that red notebook !!xx

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS