Tuesday 23 October 2012

The Ghost of You and Me by Joanna Lambert

I loved the first two books in the Behind Blue Eyes trilogy and although I read these books a long time ago I still remember each of the fantastic characters and I couldn’t wait to be back in Abbotsbridge with them to see what lies in store for Ella.

1972 With baby Lucy's arrival, Ella believes her troubled marriage to Andy Macayne may now stand a chance. However, when he learns that Nina Taylor - his ex-girlfriend and the original cause of their problems - is about to marry one of the richest men in Abbotsbridge, his continuing obsession with her sets in motion a chain of events which will go much farther than merely disrupting her wedding.

1973 June: Matt Benedict, now living and working in New York, arrives to open Zeffirellis his father's latest club and tour the UK with his new star Marcie Maguire. On the opening night Matt and Ella meet unexpectedly - a raw and painful encounter which reopens old wounds. However, later that evening Ella accidentally runs into an old friend from the past and finally learns the truth about the summer of '71. Anxious to see Matt and clear up a whole lot of misunderstanding, Ella's efforts to contact him are successfully frustrated by Marcie - a woman jealously guarding a man she wants for herself. As Marcie and Matt leave for Scotland to start the UK tour, Ella puts thoughts of him on hold as she confronts the power of the Macaynes and a battle she cannot afford to lose.

September: With the tour finally over, Matt returns home to unexpected news and despite an ultimatum from Marcie that they return to New York immediately, knows he has to stay and find Ella. 

For Mel everything has gone wrong; her plans are in ruins and she has been abandoned by those she thought she could depend on. Mad with rage and blaming her daughter for all her problems, she is about to take horrific revenge- unless Matt can reach Ella first.

There is never a dull moment in Joanna Lambert's books and this book is no exception. We are propelled straight into the storyline from the first chapter but there is something about this book that I love which I don’t often come across and that is that I am eager to turn the page to see what is going to happen next but then there is another part of me that didn't want to rush through it as you really don’t want it to come to an end.

There are so many characters in this book more than I would usually be comfortable with but over time after reading the previous two books each of the characters become easily distinguishable, some I love, some I loathe. There is no way of predicting what is going to happen next and this is what holds my interest all the way through this book.

What I like about Joanna’s writing is that when she has done all she can with a character the character then leaves the story rather than droning on and trying to slot them in somewhere making the reader tired on the character. I can’t compare the Behind Blue Eyes Trilogy to any other books I have read, they are like comfort food, not easy reads, you need your full attention because there is a lot going on in each chapter, the feel I have when reading this book reminds me of my younger days sitting on a cosy Sunday afternoon watching Heartbeat !

I highly recommend this book if you are looking for something a little different to the usual chart books. This book will have you hooked from the first page but you cannot read this as a standalone book, so treat yourself to the first two books in the series. This book is a great price on Kindle at the moment so be quick.




Paperback         Kindle


You will also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS