Monday 3 December 2012

The Secret Supper Club by Dana Bate


I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Secret Supper Club by Dana Bate other than I was sure it was going to make my taste buds dance and my tummy rumble!

Starter If twenty-six-year-old Hannah Sugarman had her way, she'd be whipping up carrot cakes and running her culinary empire. Instead, she spends her hours cooking up papers on the financial crisis. It doesn't help that no one in her life takes her passion seriously - not even her boyfriend. 

Main When her relationship implodes, Hannah decides to jump-start her life by hosting a secret supper club out of her landlord's flat. Her underground operation presents some problems. Running an unlicensed restaurant out of someone's home is not, technically speaking, legal.

Dessert As the success of Hannah's supper club grows, so do the number of secrets she is forced to keep. Can Hannah keep her pop-up restaurant underground? When mysterious guests turn up for dinner, can she handle the heat? Or will she have to step out of the kitchen? A charming romantic comedy, The Secret Supper Club is a story about finding yourself, fulfilling your dreams, and falling in love along the way.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this book. The author creates a fun and loving character in Hannah, she did remind me a little of myself in the way that even though she is getting older and she has moved out from home she still feels she needs to please her parents and rise to their expectations but I think this just showed her lack of confidence as if she truly believed in the career path she wanted to take then she would have stood up to them but it is all parts like this which made her character feel more full bodied.

There are plenty of food lists, discussions and shopping trips in this book which means you have food constantly on the brain and if that isn’t enough for the food lovers out there then wait until you discover the recipes that are in the book too!

I found the book a little predictable but this didn’t dampen my enjoyment of the book. I loved Blake’s character he felt like a trustworthy gentleman where as Jacob came with a loud warning alert signal for me and so I had my guard up about him from the word go. My only little negative point to this book is although the ending was tied up nicely with no lose strings I did feel the last few chapters of the book felt a little rushed but overall this was an enjoyable tantalising read and I will be looking out for more books from this author in the future.

This book isn't officially out until the 6th December but I have seen it hiding in WHSmiths so keep your eyes peeled!!


Paperback               Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS