Wednesday 27 November 2013

There's More to Life Than Cupcakes by Poppy Dolan


There’s More To Life Than Cupcakes is the first book I have come across by Poppy Dolan. The cover is gorgeous and definitely one that would catch my eye on the shelves I was hoping the story was going to be as good the cover.
Successful job CHECK
Husband Check
Baby ???

It seems like everyone is ready for Ellie to take that next step and join the world of parenting that is everyone apart from Ellie. With the pressure on her to conceive she begins questioning herself as to if she actually wants a baby, tries to weigh up the pros and cons. The cons really seem to out way the pros but will husband Pete be content with not having the baby he has so longed for?

This book really surprised me it wasn’t what I was expecting at all! I must learn not to judge a book by its delicious cover! Although baking and cupcakes are featured in the book it wasn’t a big part, the main storyline is babies, which I have to say I was rather apprehensive about as babies are not really my topic of choice I seem to have missed the maternal gene but as I got into the book I soon realised how alike Ellie and I are! I could really relate to her thoughts on the baby topic.

Ellie was a very natural and witty character ( let’s just say I won’t be in any hurry to let her decorate my wedding cake). What I loved about this book is that there is a rare relationship between Pete and Ellie, they are already happily married when we meet them and they don’t have a dramatic relationship it is a very happy loving relationship which makes a change from a majority of books.

There are a lot of characters in this book and I did lose track from time to time as to who was who but by the end they all began to take shape and they all seemed very down to earth, well other than Pete’s family!
This is an entertaining and humorous read, that is easy to relate to. I would have liked more of the baking/cake side of the storyline but that could be my tummy talking.

An enjoyable read that fans of Sam Binnie would also enjoy.




Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS