Wednesday 12 March 2014

Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their flat, she has to move miles away from everyone, to a sleepy little seaside resort in Cornwall, where she lives alone above an abandoned shop.  
And so Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby: making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes . . .
And people start to hear about it. 
Sometimes, bread really is life . . . And Polly is about to reclaim hers.


How gorgeous is the cover for this book?
There is something so cute and sweet looking to Jenny Colgan's book covers which matches her storyline perfectly. I loved the blurb on the back of this book as well it made a nice change.

Polly is down on her luck, she has lost everything, the business with her husband, their home and their relationship. As she attempts to get back on her feet there is only one property she can afford and it is tucked away in the sleepy seaside town of Mount Polbearne. With no luck getting a job she starts baking and before long her baking skills are the talk of the town.

I just don't know what it is about Jenny Colgan's books that get me so excited and they seem to hypnotise me as first I wanted to open up a Cupcake Shop then a Sweet Shop and now a Bakery! I think the author is calling to my inner child! Her writing just seems to pull you into this cosy and exciting little world that you just seem to lose yourself in.

I devoured this book in no time at all which always seems to happen with this authors books because her writing style is so easy to follow and there never seems to be a convenient place to pause because you need to find out what is going to happen next. Her writing style is effortless and her descriptive writing sets the scene beautifully and her descriptions of the produce were mouthwateringly good! I am not happy now I have finished this book as I have got to wait again for my next Jenny Colgan fix!

There was a lovely set of characters in this book who I loved and Polly was a wonderful main character who was easy to warm to right from the first chapter. I have to say though that Pollys' new little pet was my favourite and I am sure this is the first time this pet has featured in a book!

At the end of both Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe and Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams I felt as though the endings had been left wide open for another installment but with this book I didn't feel as though it was left for a sequel, to me the ending was tied up perfectly and I am unsure where else the author could take these characters so I feel that this book will be a stand alone book.

Although Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe is still my firm favourite by Jenny Colgan, I still loved this book it was a cosy and enjoyable read that I will definitely be recommending and I know all of Jenny Colgans' fans will not be disappointed by this book.



Kindle                  Paperback


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS