Monday 19 May 2014

Janey Fraser Interview

Today I am joined by the lovely Janey Fraser 



1) Tell us a little bit about your new release. 
Two couples go on honeymoon to the same Greek tavern. One is in their twenties and already have small children (left behind with granny). The other is a celebrity fitness bachelor who’s married a divorced mother of two sulky teenagers (who turn up later, unexpectedly). But one of the grooms has a past – about to be revealed by the owner of their honeymoon villa. Lots of secrets all round that could end both marriages before they fly home... 

2) Where did you get your inspiration for this book? I love hot places but I also wanted to keep the Corrywood setting from my previous novels. So I set the first part of the novel in Greece and the second in my fictional market town. The honeymoon idea came from a fascination with the pros and cons of going away with someone you might not know very well – even if you think you do. The stress of a honeymoon can bring out all kinds of emotions, both before and after the so-called ‘break’! I chose not to have one after my second marriage.... 

 3) How do you start writing a new book, do you write all your ideas down first or do things just come to you as you begin writing? 
I usually get an idea while I’m writing the previous novel. I try to bat it away until I’ve finished the draft I’m working on but if the idea persists, I begin to make notes. It’s usually an idea in a particular setting that involves three main characters. So I start with one and make the reader like her (hopefully) before giving her a problem by the end of the first chapter. The second chapter takes up the thread with another main character who, in some way, is linked to the first. The third chapter is told from a male viewpoint – also connected with the main plot. Then the fourth chapter goes back to the first character. Before long, they are all rubbing against each other to make the plot flow. Part of the fun is not knowing exactly what is going to happen although, three quarters of the way through, I have a general idea. I’ll then revise the whole ms at least four times to sow foreshadowing seeds; check the plot works; and make the characters more rounded.

4) What has been your favourite book to write and why?
I really loved AFTER THE HONEYMOON because I include teenage children as well as little ones. The plot also deals with first love which is so poignant. I’ll never forget the first boy I fell in love with. He was called William Charter and he broke my heart when I was 17....Hope he isn’t reading this!

 5) What are your thoughts on the Kindle vs Paperback?
My newish husband gave me a Kindle with a lovely pink cover. I do use it but not very often. There’s nothing like turning over a page in my book. Having said that, I’m more and more sure that the Kindle and its competitors are the voice of the future. 

 6) What was the last book you read and would you recommend it?
I’m currently reading Jodi Picoult’s The Story Teller. Love it! I like the different viewpoints and I’m also engrossed in the characters and their secrets. Can one’s sins ever really be forgiven by another human being? That’s a big one.

 7) If you were dropped off on a year long holiday on a desert island what would be your three must have items?
My laptop to write on. Skype to check up on the children (and husband). And a big Scrabble set. My husband and I have wonderful arguments over which words are allowed. If I played on my own, I’d have to argue with myself.

Thank you so much for joining us today, I have to say I completely agree with you there is no feeling that can beat turning the pages of a real book!
So now you have all heard from Janey herself it is now time for my review of her new release After the Honeymoon....






Two couples, one honeymoon destination, and enough secrets to end both marriages.
 How can one honeymoon cause so much trouble?
 Much as Emma loves Tom, she would never have got married if he hadn't insisted. But with Tom sick for the whole week, shouldn't she at least take advantage of the entertainment?
 Winston married Melissa after a three-month whirlwind romance. As a breakfast TV fitness star, he's anxious to keep things private. But the arrival of Melissa's two children soon puts paid to that. 
 Rosie arrived at the Villa Rosa homeless and pregnant when she was just seventeen. Now, sixteen years later, she runs the place. However, the appearance of Winston throws her into confusion. He might not remember her, but she has never forgotten him. 
 By the end of the week, none of their lives will be the same.
 But how will they cope after the honeymoon is over?

I have just finished reading After the Honeymoon by Janey Fraser and I loved every minute of it. Part of me wishes I had waited a few weeks and taken this book away with me to read on my honeymoon but I have been looking forward to this one so I started it as soon as it arrived through my door and then read it in no time at all.

The storyline follows two newly wed couples on their honeymoon, Emma and Tom who are your normal every day couple who live very normal lives and are feeling the stress and strain of family life and Melissa and Winston, who are used to the higher life with Winston who has his own exercise show on tv. Both couples are honeymooning in Greece at the gorgeous Villa Rosa which is run by Rosie who is a single mother who had to leave England at a very young age when she found out she was pregnant. Will they have the honeymoon we all wish for or will the honeymoon get emotions running high?

This was by far my favourite book by Janey Fraser. The chapters alternate between Emma, Rosie and Winston’s points of view and this worked really well and allowed the reader to develop their own perception of each of the characters rather than being swayed by the thoughts of others. There are many characters in this book but I didn’t find at any point in the book that I was confused by who was who as each of the characters were developed so well they were easy to tell apart.

This is going to be a perfect holiday for everyone his year, it is set in the stunning Villa Rosa and this one will warm your cockles as well as your heart as romance is flowing in this book but to keep you on your toes there are some hidden secrets and some of the relationships have trouble in paradise! In some parts the story is predictable, you could see what was going to be the outcome but you couldn’t quite see how the storyline was going to get to this outcome. There were also a lot of parts that I couldn’t predict which for me gave the book a good balance and also kept me hooked the whole way through.

There are characters you will love and there are characters that you will love to hate, I personally found Tom to be like a wet weekend ( as did most of the characters!) My favourite characters had to be Rosie and her gorgeous son Jack.

This was a perfect read that I will be recommending to friends this Summer I just wish I had saved it to take away with me on my Honeymoon. ( Janey do you think you can write another book by the 14th June!!)


After The Honeymoon is due for release on 22nd May


Kindle               Paperback

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I would love! Great interview! A kindle with a pink cover is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping by and commenting, I have a pink kindle case too I feel so girly! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, the kindle v book debate. I held out against a Kindle for so long, but now it is a treat to read a real book. My Kindle goes everywhere with me... I can't believe I just admitted that! :) SD
    http://www.sandradanby.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I finally caved in to a kindle too and I do love it but I do still prefer a paperback !! x

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS