Monday 7 July 2014

The Story of You by Katy Regan


Your past will always be part of you, but does it have to define your future? Or can you rewrite your story? I want to explain it all to you. How this happened. How that summer – the summer I was 16 – made me the person I am today. I want to share my memories with you: the happy memories are like sunbursts, sparkling on the sea. But then, like a current dragging me under, there's that summer of 1997. The summer my life exploded. The summer I had to grow up. The summer you came into my life. And so this is the story of you.


I was on my honeymoon when I read The Story of You by Katy Regan, the sun was shining as I immersed myself in the book and before I knew it I had finished it and not moved once and so it was dark and I had missed dinner!

This book tells Robyn's story looking back at a tragice event that happened when she was 16 and her whole life changed and it has stayed with her through her adult life. With a big change now happening years on everything is brought back to the surface again, will she let this define her for the rest of her life or will she be able to find a way to let go?

This was an unbelievable raw, emotional and poignant read that had me captivated the whole way through. It is so beautifully written with such delicacy around many emotional, heartbreaking events. This was not the light read I was expecting after reading some of the authors previous books this is a lot deeper and will definitely pull at your heart strings.

Robyn is one of those characters you can't help but sympathise with after all she has been through you just want her to find her happy ending but even the ending made this book feel realistic because it wasn't yur typcal and they live happy ever after ending. I absolutely loved Joe he was such a string, loving and determined character and he managed to bring a little light to this book and also to Robyn's life.

The book is told in both the past and the present but also in the form of letters to Lily which I thought was a lovely touch.

There is no question for me that this book shows the authors writing at her best and I can't imagine how hard this book must have been to write because it was so highly emotive. I loved every page and I will definitely be recommending this beautiful breathtaking read.

This book is out now on kindle and will be available in paperback from September.





No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS