Friday 15 August 2014

With A Friend Like You by Fanny Blake

Beth is a woman in supreme control of all aspects of her life and family, with a stellar career and her house an oasis of calm. Her closest friend, Megan, is very different; somehow she swims through the chaos of her family with ease, the clutter on the stairs, the cat footprints on the kitchen work space. And while they could not be more different, Beth and Megan have a genuine friendship built on years of laugher, tears and true understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses. Because that's what friends do, isn't it?

But when Beth's daughter reveals a surprising secret, a wedge is driven between Beth and Megan. What begins as mild recrimination and misunderstanding develops into a full-blown row and then a simmering feud. As the two women square up to do battle in the London suburbs, there's everything to play for. All's fair in love and war...

This is the first book I have read by this author so I was unsure what to expect but I loved the gorgeous vibrant cover and I love books about friendships under pressure so I was looking forward to trying this book.

Beth and Megan have been best friends since their children were born. Beth has always been extremely career focused so she often relied on Megan to help with her two girl Ella and Amy, the families grew so close that the girls thought of Megan as a second mum which has never been a problem to Beth until one day when Ella has some life changing news and she confides in Megan before her own mum. This causes a massive rift between the best friends and Beth doesn't feel she can ever forgive Megan.

This was such a tense read the author creates a great deal of tension between both the ladies that the reader can also feel it through the pages. The storyline is split between both Beth and Megan's points of view so we get to see both characters thoughts and feelings on all of the issues.

I loved Megan just as much as I loathed Beth! I couldn't take to Beth at all and she didn't deserve a friend like Megan in my opinion. I think she is a very self centered person and although I can understand that she felt hurt after her daughter didn't confide in her first her actions towards Megan were shocking when this woman is meant to be her friend and has always been there for her and her family.  I enjoyed the book and couldn't wait to see what the outcome of their friendship would be as well as Ella's outcome.

There was one twist in the book that completely took me by surprise which I do love in a book. I did find the storyline a bit too negative it would have been nice to have some humour to lighten the mood in places but having said that it was still an enjoyable read even if I do need a massage to relieve my tense shoulders now!




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS