Sunday 8 March 2015

Cavendon Hall by Barbara Taylor Bradford


Two entwined families: the aristocratic Inghams and the Swanns who serve them. One stately home: Cavendon Hall, a grand imposing house nestled in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. And a society beauty: Lady Daphne Ingham is the most beautiful of the Earl’s daughters, a glittering marriage her destiny. But in the summer of 1913, a devastating event changes her future forever, and puts the House of Ingham at risk. Life as the families of Cavendon Hall know it – Royal Ascot, supper dances, grouse season feasts – is about to alter beyond recognition as the storm clouds of war gather.

On a couple of occasions now I have had people recommend the author Barbara Taylor Bradford to me and when I came across a copy of Cavendon Hall I decided to give it a try as I love finding new authors.

The storyline. Follows the aristocratic family the Inghams and the Swann family who have served them for many years now in Cavendon Hall. The Earls second daughter Lady Daphne is a vision of pure beauty and he has high hopes for her to marry well but a disturbing event takes place that threatens not only Lady Daphne's future but could also destroy the Ingham name.

I wasn't sure how i was going to get on with this book as historical romance is not a genre I have ever really felt comfortable with but I was surprised how quick I managed to fall into this storyline. The authors strength is clearly in creating well rounded characters who you warm to quickly and although there are many characters in this book there is no confusion as to who is who. 

Cavendon Hall was described beautifully and you could picture this Grand house easily in your mind as the characters moved around from the grand rooms and also down to the staff quarters. The loyalty between the Swanns and the Inghams was very strong and this came across right from the beginning of the book but for some reason it seemed as though the author needed to reiterate this and so it was constantly repeated throughout the book and between the characters about their bond and loyalty which became a rather tedious along with a few other points that were repetitive too.

I enjoyed the book up until Part 4, when the book reached this point it felt as though the book was steering down a different path and had begun to feel rather drawn out to me which is a shame after a strong start to the book.

I did enjoy this book even though there were a couple of negatives for me but I will definitely try another book by this author.  





Paperback                Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS