Tuesday 5 April 2016

Who's That Girl by Mhairi McFarlane


When Edie is caught in a compromising position at her colleagues’ wedding, all the blame falls on her – turns out that personal popularity in the office is not that different from your schooldays. Shamed online and ostracised by everyone she knows, Edie’s forced to take an extended sabbatical – ghostwriting an autobiography for hot new acting talent, Elliot Owen. Easy, right? Wrong. Banished back to her home town of Nottingham, Edie is not only dealing with a man who probably hasn’t heard the word ‘no’ in a decade, but also suffering an excruciating regression to her teenage years as she moves back in with her widowed father and judgy, layabout sister. When the world is asking who you are, it’s hard not to question yourself. Who’s that girl? Edie is ready to find out.




I have read all of Mhairi McFarlane’s previous books and really enjoyed them so when I was offered the chance to read and review her new release Who’s That Girl I didn’t hesitate and when it arrived I was shocked at the mammoth size of it!

After a shocking incident at her colleague’s Wedding involving Edie and the Groom, it soon becomes clear that Edie needs to lay low and her boss gives her the opportunity to return to her childhood town and work on a new project ghost-writing actor Elliot Owen’s autobiography. Returning home opens up old wounds that even a hot actor can’t help heal.

I don’t know if it was the daunting 535 pages of this book that I struggled with in the beginning of this book or if it was a case of the wrong book at the wrong time but I read the first chapter and was gripped but then I really struggled to carry on with the book and actually gave up twice but I have enjoyed the authors previous books so much so I was determined to pick it up again and I am so glad I did because as the storyline past the first few chapters I then found myself warming to Edie and looking forward to seeing how things panned out for her.

Edie was a sweet soul who is far from malicious, she was surrounded my toxic people especially Louis who I wasn’t keen on from the first chapter so it was great for her to return to her roots and find herself and reunite with genuine friends too. Her sister is shocking but the relationship between Edie and her sister actually brought some humour to the storyline.

Elliot Owen is our gorgeous heart throb, we get to see him in action at work but we also get to see him out of the lime light and really get to know him and how fame effects his day to day life and also we find out a secret that he has been hiding that looks like it is going to be leaked and the effect this could have not just on him but people close to him too.

I really enjoyed getting to know Edie and Elliot, both live very different lives and yet they have such a great respect and understanding of each other. When I reached the end of the book I thought someone had pulled a page out but no! Mhairi has left the storyline open at the end, yes you can guess a part of but not really know what the true outcome would be ( sorry trying not to give anything away here!).


This was another enjoyable, light and uplifting read by Mhairi McFarlane that also tackles some emotional and heartfelt topics too in such a gentle but detailed way. I am so pleased I picked this book up again, Mhairi McFarlane fans are sure to enjoy Who’s That Girl.



Hardback                Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS