Sunday 9 April 2017

This Love by Dani Atkins

Sophie stopped believing in happy endings a long time ago, but could this love change all of that?

Sophie Winter lives in a self-imposed cocoon - she's a single, 31-year-old translator who works from home in her one-bedroom flat. This isn’t really the life she dreamed of, but then Sophie stopped believing in dreams when she was a teenager and tragedy struck her family.

So, to be safe, she keeps everyone at arm’s length. Sophie understands she has a problem, but recognising it and knowing how to fix it are two entirely different things.

One night a serious fire breaks out in the flat below hers. Sophie is trapped in the burning building until a passer-by, Ben, sees her and rescues her.

Suddenly her cocoon is shattered - what will be the consequences of this second life-changing event?



One thing I have come to know and expect from Dani Atkins books is that they are packed full with emotion so I will always need a tissue to hand, so I was well prepared when I picked up This Love.

When Sophie Winters was fifteen her brother who she idolised tragically died. Sophie and her family have never properly dealt with their grief and so Sophie prefers to keep herself to herself and not let anyone in. One night when the downstairs neighbours party soon turns into devastation when it catches fire Sophie is trapped in her flat above with the fire threatening her life, there is only one way out… the window.

Ben catches sight of Sophie in the burning building and doesn’t hesitate in doing all he can to help this woman to safely escape.

The opening chapter of this book pulled me in right from the very first page. That first chapter was so fast paced and had me on edge already thanks to this eventful start as I felt Sophie’s desperation and fear flowing through the pages, a woman who was already broken now ready to shatter and I was willing her to make it through.

Ben is a chivalrous hero, he goes above and beyond to be able to help Sophie both during and after the accident, he was an easy character to love from the get go and I was hoping he would be able to help Sophie finally begin to let people in and for her to start truly living her life.

I had my theories as to what was to emerge through the storyline and although I guessed correctly at some it still shocked me when they were revealed and the great thing was there were also things that I never see coming either so there was still that element of devastating suspense. This book covers so much from romance and friendship to grief and self discovery there really is something for everyone in this book.


Each time I read a novel by this author I get completely choked up and I never expect that her next novel will ever be able to beat her previous but she continues to develop more heart-breaking plots and loveable vulnerable characters who capture my heart each time. I absolutely loved this book and know this will not disappoint those who have loved each of her previous books as it is truly a wonderful poignant read.

Kindle                    Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS