Saturday 17 November 2018

The Rise and Fall of Becky Sharp


Becky Sharp has big dreams and no connections. Determined to swap the gutters of Soho for the glamorous, exclusive world behind the velvet rope, Becky will do anything to achieve fame, riches and status.
Whether it’s seducing society’s most eligible bachelors, or befriending silly debutantes and rich old ladies, Becky Sharp is destined for great things. Because it might be tough at the top but it’s worse at the bottom.
From London to Paris and beyond, Becky Sharp is going places – so get the hell out of her way…



I had heard a lot about The Rise and Fall of Becky Sharp by Sarra Manning but have to admit I was a little hesitant about picking it up as many reviews I had read had all mentioned that this was a retelling of Vanity Fair which ( ok smack my wrists ) I have never read, so I didn’t think I would be worth me reading. As a surprise my sister actually brought me a copy for my birthday present so I settled down to see if I would be able to follow the storyline.

Becky Sharp has lived her life with nothing but after her appearance on Big Brother she is determined to make use of this platform to get her name out there and rise to fame and fortune no matter how ruthless she has to be.

For any of your who, like me , were feeling a little put off about this book having not read Vanity Fair let me put your mind at ease and say it is absolutely fine to read as a standalone book, had I not read the reviews mentioning that I wouldn’t have been any of the wiser and would have still been thoroughly entertained by this storyline.

The first thing to mention is our leading lady Becky Sharp who is one determined and had no morals when it comes to getting what she wants! She isn’t the kind of character you love or would want to be friends with but she is so interesting to watch her mid at work concocting her devious plans for her next step.

The storyline is fast paced and we meet a large variety of characters for Becky to stamp her heels all over on her way to the top. Becky wasn’t the only character who was ruthless though another that stood out was Gorgeous George who I was desperately hoping Becky would take down a peg or two as he was so arrogant and egotistical. There were other characters I did find generally sweet such as Dobbin and Amelia.  There is a slight witty feel to the storyline but that is mainly because people are so blind to her ways and she has no boundaries.

I liked that the book was unpredictable even though we soon become aware that there isn’t a line that Becky isn’t afraid to cross and that she always has a plan B we never quite know if she will end up on top or if everything is about to fall down around her once again. This was refreshing modern storyline with scandal a plenty and a main character in Becky Spark who will be impossible to forget. I am pleased I have discovered author Sarra Manning and I look forward to reading more books by her after enjoying her writing style in this book.

Paperback                 Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS