Thursday 14 May 2020

Just My Luck by Adele Parks



For fifteen years, Lexi and Jake have played the same six numbers with their friends, the Pearsons and the Heathcotes. Over dinner parties, fish & chip suppers and summer barbecues, they’ve discussed the important stuff – the kids, marriages, jobs and houses – and they’ve laughed off their disappointment when they failed to win anything more than a tenner.
But then, one Saturday night, the unthinkable happens. There’s a rift in the group. Someone doesn’t tell the truth. And soon after, six numbers come up which change everything forever.
Lexi and Jake have a ticket worth £18 million. And their friends are determined to claim a share of it.

It has been a long time since I have picked up a book by Adele Parks so I was looking forward to stepping back into her literary world and getting caught up in one of her gripping storylines.
Lexi and Jake’s lives are about to change forever, no more struggling to make the bills each month, they can finally get that new sofa they need and add to that all the luxuries they can now afford! The pair have won 18 million on the lottery and life is looking bright, but things begin to cloud over when their friends are out to get a share they feel they are entitled too.
I can not tell you the last time I picked up a book and read it from start to finish without moving my butt once but I was so engrossed in this storyline I couldn’t put this book down. I thing I can safely say that for the majority of us the idea of winning the lottery is like a dream come true so this is definitely a storyline that will all get our thinking caps on working out how we would spend our winnings but I am also sure that a lot of us have only ever thought of the pro’s of winning the lottery and not taken into account the negativity which is something the author has researched for this novel and it has opened my eyes.
I found I liked Lexi from the start of this novel she was a very down to earth, caring, kind and thoughtful character and as the  storyline progressed her nature remained the same and she didn’t seem to let the huge win go to her head which can not be said of others. I found myself getting so wound up and uptight reading about the pure greed and seeing the personalities of certain characters change.
I have rewritten my review for this book a number of times because I wanted to be so careful not to give anything away because I feel that the reason this book made such an impact on me was the utter disbelief and shock that I found myself in at a certain point in this book, I actually found myself re-reading a page to make sure I had read it correctly as I felt like the wool was well and truly pulled over my eyes.
This was a thoroughly gripping read that I would definitely recommend if you are looking for something exciting, dark and unpredictable. This was full of betrayal, greed, negligence and abuse. It has definitely reminded me why I loved this authors writing all those years ago and I can not wait to go back and read some of her latest books.

 Just My Luck Is Out on Kindle and in Hardback on the 14th May.



Kindle                        Hardback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS