Friday 17 July 2020

I Made A Mistake by Jane Corry




In Poppy Page's mind, there are two types of women in this world: those who are faithful to their husbands, and those who are not. Until now, Poppy has never questioned which she was.
But when handsome, charming Matthew Gordon walks back into her life after almost two decades, that changes. Poppy makes a single mistake - and that mistake will be far more dangerous than she could imagine.
Someone is going to pay for it with their life . . .

It has been a while since I have read a novel by Jane Corry but let me tell you from the moment I picked up I Made a Mistake I could not put it down! Each time I thought I would snatch one more quick chapter I soon found myself going back for more.

Poppy Page makes the biggest mistake of her life when an old flame comes back into her life. Poppy finds herself in an impossible situation either way she turns she is set to lose everything all over one moment of weakness.

The novel moves between Poppy and her mother in-law Bettys points of view with Poppy’s referring to current day events and Betty predominantly talks us through the years of marriage to her husband Jock. The storyline is fast paced and kept me on my toes the whole time with so much packed into the storyline, I was keen to hear more about the struggles Betty faced during her adult years and at the same time found myself eager to see what tricks Matthew was going to play next and how this would effect Poppy.

Infidelity is a strong part in this novel and I would expect because I have such incredibly strong views on this that I would not like the characters but to my surprise I found myself bonding with these characters early on and just wanting to see a happy ending for them.

Betty was actually my favourite character in this novel and I found her story really touched my heart to hear what such a sweet natured woman went through when all she wanted was to love and be loved in return. Her story really highlighted how different things were back in those days and how easily wrong doings were accepted.

There was so much going on in this storyline that I found my interest was held the whole way through, so many different issues were weaved into the storyline from infidelity, blackmail, secrets and domestic abuse all which add to this sinister and twisted novel.

This is one of my top reads of the year and one I would highly recommend, I will be looking out for more Jane Corry books next time I am at the bookshop.


Kindle                       Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS