Thursday 15 October 2020

Because of You by Dawn French

 



Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock . . . midnight.

The old millennium turns into the new.

In the same hospital, two very different women give birth to two very similar daughters.

Hope leaves with a beautiful baby girl.

Anna leaves with empty arms.

Seventeen years later, the gods who keep watch over broken-hearted mothers wreak mighty revenge, and the truth starts rolling, terrible and deep, toward them all.

The power of mother-love will be tested to its limits.

Perhaps beyond . . .


Because of You is the first novel I have read by Dawn French so I was a little unsure of what to expect but when I read the synopsis it appealed to me and let me tell you now that I have finished this book that it sure was a thought provoking read that is going to leave a mark on me.

Anna and Hope are both in hospital and their lives are about to change, both are in labour but one of them will leave with a beautiful baby girl whilst the other leaves with a world of pain and a broken heart.

Fast forward 17 years and the truth comes out and is set to impact all of those involved. Can forgiveness be given and can a wrong be put right?

Wow

Wow

Wow

I am not sure where to begin with my review for Because of You because I have so many different emotions rolling around in my head and my heart right now. This sure is a life affirming book and it questioned everyone of my morals.

The opening of the book has a dramatic start and I was gobsmacked with Hope’s actions which was why as the storyline progressed, I surprised myself with how much I come to love her character and almost felt like what she had done was understandable and acceptable. I knew undoubtedly that what Hope done was unquestionably wrong and that I should see her as a criminal or a villain certainly not someone who I would expect to actually like but when you see the whole picture it soon makes you take everything into perspective and understand the reason for her actions.

My heart really went out to Anna, what she was going through is something no one should ever face and to then not have the love and support of a loving partner by her side just made it even more unbearable and I think it is because of how self absorbed and pig headed her husband is that pushes the reader to justify Hopes actions almost like she has protected Minnie.

I really do not want to give any major spoilers away but what I will say is there is a part in this book that absolutely floored me and I even had a tear escape too as my heart broke a little at Hope’s actions but that is all I will say on that matter as the reader needs to be in the dark about this for it to have the same impact as it had on me.

I loved watching the mother daughter bond blossom over Minnie’s 18 years, they were a strong loving unit and Minnie grew up to be an incredible young lady who lived a wonderful life surrounded by nothing but love and support.

There was always an unpredictability about the storyline never quite sure when or if the truth was going to come to light and this kept me on edge the whole way through as I greedily sped through each chapter trying to find out what was going to happen next.

This is up there with my top three books of the year and I will definitely be recommending this one to all who will listen and gifting a copy or two as Christmas presents this year as I guarantee this book will have people captivated and in shock by how it can play with your emotions and morals. Anyone who watched the series recently The Secrets She Keeps and was hooked then this is definitely the book for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS