Tuesday 18 May 2021

The First Day of Spring by Nancy Tucker

 



Earlier in the year whilst in lockdown I caught an interview with Nancy Tucker talking about her debut fiction book titled The First Day of Spring and she caught my attention immediately when she told us the synopsis it sounded sinister and shocking and was certainly an original concept for me, it sounded like it was going to be an explosive and gripping novel.

Chrissie knows how to steal sweets from the shop without getting caught, the best hiding place for hide-and-seek, the perfect wall for handstands.

Now she has a new secret. It gives her a fizzing, sherbet feeling in her belly. She doesn't get to feel power like this at home, where food is scarce and attention scarcer.

Fifteen years later, Julia is trying to mother her five-year-old daughter, Molly. She is always worried - about affording food and school shoes, about what the other mothers think of her. Most of all she worries that the social services are about to take Molly away.

That's when the phone calls begin, which Julia is too afraid to answer, because it's clear the caller knows the truth about what happened all those years ago.

And it's time to face the truth: is forgiveness and redemption ever possible for someone who has killed?

 

Well what can I say….. I am still disturbed how troubled our main character little Chrissie is. The opening of the book certainly gets off to an eventful and shocking start, no wasting time just grab the reader and pull them straight in! I did find at one point early on in the novel where I put the book down and I was unsure if I was going to pick it back up, not because of poor writing or attention wavering it was more like that moment when you drive past a car crash and you know it is horrific and shouldn’t look but you can’t help yourself and so yes I picked the book back up and was unable to put it back down!

The author isn’t afraid to get gritty in this novel and it was scary to see how an unloved and neglected child’s mind can turn and to see what they are truly capable of. We always think of children as innocents who are not capable of certain things but this book explores the unthinkable and I can safely say Chrissie is not a character I will ever forget she has left a little scar on my mind.

The storyline alternates between the child’s voice of Chrissie and the adult voice of Julia and this worked perfectly for this storyline as we really manage to get into their minds and see their true thoughts and feelings. At times I found myself feeling sorry for Chrissie’s character as the awful upbringing she had was unbearable and something no child should have to endure but there was still that part of me that had to remember what she had done and the devastation that she has caused.

This debut is incredibly well written and brave covering disturbing events which are delivered in great intense detail it makes it all feel way too real. If you are looking for a sinister, dark twisted novel that will grip you and leave its mark then this book will not disappoint. I think I need to watch Finding Nemo now to sooth my troubled and tense mind!

Out Now on Kindle!


 

Out 24th June in Hardback



No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS