Saturday 1 April 2023

The Forgetting by Hannah Beckerman

 



When Anna Bradshaw wakes up in a hospital bed in London, she remembers nothing, not even her loving husband, Stephen. The doctors say her amnesia is to be expected, but Anna feels cut adrift from her entire life.

In Bristol, Livvy Nicholson is newly married to Dominic and eager to get back to work after six months’ maternity leave. But when Dominic’s estranged mother appears, making a series of unnerving claims, Livvy is sucked into a version of herself she doesn’t recognise.

A hundred miles apart, both women feel trapped and disorientated, and their stories are about to collide. Can they uncover the secret that connects them and reconstruct their fractured lives?


Hannah Beckerman is an author who delivers remarkable storylines every time and usually I need a whole box of tissues to get through a novel of hers but for her new release The Forgetting you can cast the tissues aside because this one is not going to make you cry its going to lure you in and play with your mind!

This novel is told using short sharp chapters that alternate between Anna Bradshaw and Livvy Nicholson as the chapters switch quickly we are kept bouncing on our toes as we begin to know each of these women.

Anna has been in a horrific car accident that has left her with amnesia, waking up to find a man she doesn’t know next to her, her husband Stephen. Anna is going to have to rely on Stephen to help her piece together her life before the accident in the hope that her memories will return.

New mum Livvy is adjusting to her new life as a mum to Leo and wide to her devoted and dependable husband Dominic but when his mum turns up unannounced there are things that seem amiss.

I don’t remember the last time I sat down to read an entire book in one evening but that is exactly what happened when I sat down to the first page of this book last night, before I knew it dinner had passed as the last page of this book was read, I was captivated to say the least. The short chapters made this a real breeze to read and kept my interest piqued as I learnt more about each of the women.

I had an idea about half way through what may lay ahead but I couldn’t quite work out how it was going to be revealed so I was desperate to keep reading and see how the author had created the twisty element and I was not disappointed.

This author has such a wonderful way with words and her novels really are crafted to perfection, I never find any flaws in her books and each and every one I still remember to vividly and this one, although very different from her previous books will also stick in my mind I am sure.

Novels that explore amnesia always intrigue me so I was gripped by Anna, waiting for her memories to return and discovering day to day difficulties sufferers face not even being safe enough to leave their house without forgetting where they live. The storyline covers a variation of topics alongside the amnesia including manipulation which was so easy to see as an outsider but shows how a victim can’t see what is right in front of them and how the manipulator manages to get into their head and their comments are like poison slowly spreading until they get the result they want.

This gets top marks from me and is certainly one I will be recommending.


Kindle              Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS