Sunday 10 March 2024

The Hidden Years by Rachel Hore

 




When talented musician Gray Robinson persuades Belle to abandon her university studies and follow him to Silverwood, home to an artistic community on the Cornish coast, Belle happily agrees even though they’ve only just met. She knows she is falling in love, and the thought of spending a carefree summer with Gray is all she can think about.
 
But being with Gray isn’t the only reason Belle agrees to accompany him to Silverwood.
 
Why does the name Silverwood sound so familiar?
What is its connection to a photo of her as a baby, taken on a nearby beach?
And who is Imogen Lockhart, a wartime nurse who lived at Silverwood many years ago?
 
As the summer months unfold, Belle begins to learn the truth – about secrets from the past that have been kept hidden, but also about the person she wants to be.


I love finding new authors to read and I have found a little gem in Rachel Hore having  finished her recent release The Hidden Years with a story that is set in my happy place, Cornwall.


This is a dual time frame novel that tells us Imogen’s story starting back in 1939 and then alternates to 1966 with the lovely Belle and I found I was interested in both of these characters stories but was pulled more to Imogen’s in all honesty. As the story moves along it is clear that there is some connection that connects the two character but it isn’t clear what until some time along and even if you do have your suspicions there was still another revelation that I didn’t work out. 


I loved the plot setting with Silverwood almost becoming a character in itself it is a home that holds many memories and history within its walls and has also been a protective refuge and a community helping. The characters were also extremely well developed and it was easy to form bonds with them  especially Imogen. I enjoyed watching her find her career path and it was also insightful to see how things differed in those times when it came to women working once married. 


I found the group Belle joined in her time in Silverwood very bizarre, I am all for free spirits but it seemed more like they had become lazy and lost their way and Belle clearly didn’t fit into this group! 


The story of an event that unfolds really was moving and unexpected and the way it was told was pure and honest and for me wrapped the ending of the book up perfectly.


This was a slow pace gentle read that I think I picked up and the right time for me and I look forward to reading more from this author. If you love authors like Liz Fenwick and Erica James then I think you would love Rachel Hore.


Available to purchase by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS