Friday 2 November 2012

The School Gates by Nicola May


With all the lovely Christmas books being released at the moment I have been in my element but not wanting to read all of them months before the special day I decided to read The School Gates by Nicola May. Nicola is an author who in my eyes doesn’t get enough recognition for her work, I love her books and they are easily upto the same standard as many current chart books.

Plot
At 3.10pm every weekday, parents gather at Featherstone Primary in Denbury to collect their children. For a special few, the friendships forged at the school gates will see them through lives filled with drama, secrets and sorrows. When Yummy Mummy Alana reveals the identity of her love-child's father, she doesn't expect the consequences to be quite so extreme. 

Ex Czech au-pair Earth Mummy Dana finds happiness in her secret sideline, but really all she longs for is another child. Slummy Mummy Mo's wife-beating husband leads her down a path she never thought possible, and Supper Mummy Joan has to cope when life deals her a devastating blow. And what of Gay Daddy Gordon? Will he be able to juggle parenthood and cope with his broken heart at the same time?

Four very different mothers. One adorable dad. And the intertwining trials and tribulations that a year at the primary school gates brings


I had to say I was a little concerned how I would find this book, I don’t have children and I also seem to be missing the whole maternal gene to, on the odd occasion I have had to do the school run for my Niece and Nephew I have hated it and would rather go to the dentist to have my teeth pulled out, luckily I didn’t have the same feeling when reading this book!

Each chapter alternates between the many characters who make up this book and believe me there are a hell of a lot of them and when you first begin to meet them you do start to lose track of who is who but as the book moves along each of the characters start to develop and some of their storylines start to include the other characters and so you soon become familiar with who is who.

My favourite thing about Nicola May’s writing is the humour she brings to her books it is in a league of its own and it is very down to earth, day to day humour and she brings that humour back in this book which makes it such an enjoyable read. Humour aside the author also brings a number of more serious issues such as death, Infidelity, Weight Issues and fertility issues and each of these issues are brought to us on a very in-depth level the author doesn’t tiptoe around these issues which for me brought a deeper feeling storyline and it was great to see a different side to the authors writing style.

There are characters who you will love and there will be some you hate but I think the character that shone through for me had to be Mo she was such a loveable and genuine character she really was a joy to read. It really is amazing the amount of characters and storylines that are included in this book there really is something for everyone.

Look for a humour read with full bodied character and an indepth storyline then this book is right up your street.


Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS