Thursday 15 May 2014

Before You Die by Samantha Hayes


Oh God, please don't let me die. 
It has taken nearly two years for the Warwickshire village of Radcote to put a spate of teenage suicides behind it. Then a young man is killed in a freak motorbike accident, and a suicide note is found among his belongings.

A second homeless boy takes his own life, this time on the railway tracks.
Is history about to repeat itself? DI Lorraine Fisher has just arrived for a relaxing summer break with her sister. Soon she finds herself caught up in the resulting police enquiry. And when her nephew disappears she knows she must act quickly.

Are the recent deaths suicide - or murder?


After losing my reading mojo I decided to change from my usual genre and try a psychological suspense novel and the book I picked was Before you Die by Samantha Hayes which is my first read by this author so I didn’t know what to expected but once I got started I couldn’t put it down so I read it in one sitting.

After a spate of suicides in the village of Radcote it has taken two years for the community to move forward, but after a another young man is found dead after a motorcycle accident after leaving a suicide note as well as another young boy who left a suicide note before a train accident it seems as though another spate is about to begin.

With Freddie doing a disappearing act after his family have observed that he seems a little depressed, his aunt Lorraine who is a Detective Inspector wants to get to the bottom of the problems in this village before it is too late for her nephew.

Well this well and truly got my reading mojo back! This book was full of suspense with twists and turns in every chapter. We are given a few clues some to help us and some that lead us down a completely wrong path. My one and only problem with this book was I had already guessed the villain from early on in the book, so part of me did think about giving up reading it but then I wanted to know what occurred and what the reasoning behind it was, and I have to say when I found out why I was a little disappointed as I found the reasoning behind it to be rather pathetic! I am glad I did carry on reading because it was a great book and the ending had me in complete shock I didn’t expect that revelation at all!

There was quite a lot of content covered in the storyline crime, suicide, bullying, adultery, special needs, Lies and deceit so there really is a lot to take in and keep your mind occupied. There are also quite a few characters in this book but you never find you are confused by who is who. My favourite character has to be the lovely Gil, I looked forward to hearing his point of view each time and I think it was great how the author managed to portray his view taking into account his special needs.


This would be a 5* read if the author had managed to hide the villain from me but because I guessed easily so early on I am going to day this is a 4* read.




1 comment:

  1. This book sounds different then what I would normally read too but super interesting. I love the sound of all the content covered in here because those are sensitive subjects and It's good to see them in books more. I really enjoyed reading your review and I'm glad I found it because I probably would have never heard about this book. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS