Friday 9 November 2018

Snowy Nights at the Lonely Hearts Hotel by Karen King



Twenty-nine-year-old Saffron Baxter knew her fun holiday plans didn’t stand a chance the moment her sister called to say she was stuck abroad with no hope of being home before Christmas. Saffy would just have to abandon thoughts of wild festive parties in the city and head down to remote Cornwall.

Because every year her sister hosts a huge Christmas meal for all the single parents in her village. And Saffy knows it’d break her heart to let them down.

Arriving as snow starts to fall over the thatched cottages of the little harbour town of Port Breok, she meets Logan – the tall, fair-haired, blue-eyed, devoted single dad who lives over the road, with his adorable daughter Chloe. At first she thinks he might help her make Christmas Day extra-memorable, but he just seems convinced she’ll never manage – that she’s just a party girl who doesn’t care about family, or anyone’s feelings.

Maybe he’s right. After all – she doesn’t want to settle down, she’s only there for a few days… But she’s still determined to do her sister proud with gorgeous decorations, the most beautiful real tree – complete with extra twinkly lights, and delicious mince pies. To make it a Christmas everyone will remember, especially little Chloe. Even if, when the mistletoe comes down, she knows she’ll probably never see Logan again…


I hold my hands up and admit I fell in love with the cover to Snowy Nights at the Lonely Hearts Hotel and so I didn’t even read the synopsis for the book and I hadn’t heard of the author before so I was going in with no expectations only the hope of having a large sprinkling of Festivity sprinkled through the pages!

Single Saffy has her plans for Christmas turned upside down when she receives a pone call from her sister desperate for her to host her traditional Christmas Day party for the single parent residents who live in the area. This is not Saffy’s idea of the perfect Christmas but she soon finds herself guilt tripped into taking on the challenge.

She soon finds she has a helping hand ready and waiting in the form of a drop-dead gorgeous neighbour Logan but they don’t quite get off on the right foot!

I won’t give anymore of the storyline away as going into this book with no expectations made every step of this book a sweet surprise. There is a predictable romance that blossoms but I enjoyed reading the ups and downs of the journey between Logan and Saffy.

I loved Saffy’s friend Robbie, I found him very funny and dramatic but he was also a supportive friend to Saffy too. I also loved little Chloe who was Logan’s daughter, I am always hit and miss with child characters in novels as I often find their voice irritating but Chloe won my heart straight away she really was a little sweetie who idolised her father and seemed to want to find that mother figure and took a great shine to Saffy over their mutual love of Polar Bears!

I did actually take an instant dislike to Saffy’s sister Hannah as she seemed to guilt trip Saffy into her demands and implied that the way Saffy chose to spend her life was selfish just because she doesn’t have children and has a successful career and as we find out more about Saffy’s background I actually really felt sorry for her.

I loved that the author didn’t play done the festivity in this book. So often we find such fabulously festive covers have only a mere mention of Christmas but this book had a large sprinkling of festive magic that has really left me in the Christmas spirit.

I loved this light hearted, witty and romantic storyline that did touch on a couple of more delicate subjects and this was handled with great care. I will definitely be reading future novels from Karen King and I would definitely recommend this book if you want something to get you in the festive spirit.

Kindle

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for reading my book and writing a lovely review. xx

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS