Monday 27 May 2024

Think Twice by Harlan Coben

 


Sports Agent Myron Bolitar is in his new office on the top of a skyscraper in New York when two FBI agents ask him this very question.

The man they refer to is a top basketball player and Myron's former client and old rival. Greg's DNA, they tell him, has been found at the scene of a high-profile double-murder, and he is now their main suspect.

It can't be Greg, Myron tells the two agents: the reason he is Myron's 'former' client is because Greg is dead. He died three years ago of a heart attack. Myron went to his funeral and gave the eulogy.

So how can a man who's already dead be wanted for murder?



I have just finished reading my first ever Harlan Coben book and it was his new release Think Twice. This one drew my attention with the blurb on the back when it said

How can a man who’s already dead be wanted for murder. Could Greg Downing Still be alive?

This made me want to dive straight in and solve this mystery but let me tell you this was a case I didn’t win! All of my suspicions were wrong, I was pointing my finger at the wrong people each and every time.

The storyline wastes no time in kicking off to a quick start introducing us to many different characters so you become distracted trying to remember who is who and what connection they have with the other characters. The chapters are mainly told from Myron’s POV with the odd few chapters scattered through turns to the killer POV and it was these little chapters where I thought I had gained my clues to solve the mystery.

The first quarter of the book didn’t really grip me but I think this was just because there was a lot going on so I couldn’t settle into the storyline but after this I started to find myself absorbed into the storyline and the suspense piquing my interest as it became clear that there was a serial killer at large.

The pair at the heart of this storyline are Myron and Win who I believe are characters that have been in previous Harlan Coben books but even though this is my first time meeting them I was already taken in by their solid friendship, they have humour and loyalty surrounding them and they make a dangerous and clever pair who work well together especially in this book when personal connections are involved in this case.

I was kept right in the dark up until the big revel and I was completely shocked I had got it completely wrong. The ending of the book was brilliant none of this killer caught every one lives happy every after stuff this was a gripping gritty ending.

This book was book was ok to read as a standalone but I do feel that I may have benefitted more from having read his previous books to have a little more background on these characters so I think I will go back and read them now.

Available to buy HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS